Now that the internet is about to be censored or not I think it's about time I really speak my mind. Warning... this is going to be a negative post so if you don't want to read any negativity then stop now. The last straw for me to decide on posting this is because it seems that everytime I get a email from company about some "new" Hello Kitty item that they want me to post about they pitch me offering something then they go to someone else instead. It's happens way to often to make me think this is just a coincidence. It's almost as if I have a reputation in the Hello Kitty world and I've been blacklisted. I don't know that for sure. I have read other blog posts about companies taking advantage of bloggers so that could be it. Anyway I'm fed up with all the BS that has happened because of working for Sanrio and working for my blog and I'm saying what needs to be said. Hello Kitty might not have a mouth but I do.
Working for Sanrio should of been the best experience of my life but it became the worst as of day three working there.
1) Mgr gave me attitude on day 3 of working there because I didn't understand something. Uh I thought employees get at least a week or two of training so I found that to be uncalled for. "Just do it how I told you" with major attitude is what they said.
2) Learned before the store closed down that Mgr was told about my blog before I started working there and that to make sure I knew what I could post and not post in which I was never told until they got a phone call from corp a month later about something then mgr called me and got nasty with me on the phone and told me to call corp. I called corp and the girl was nice as can be. Uh WTF?
3) Was told in a conversation about how corp doesn't fire people but cuts their hours so they quit. Yes great way to have your employees trust their workplace. I really shouldn't of known this. Welcome to retail.
4) Met a girl at a store that used to work for the Sanrio I worked at and she told me she was fired for being too slow. She waited on us and did fine so that made no sense.
5) Mg told me I was pissing her off and making her very angry when we were doing inventory and I wasn't given real instructions or training on this by the way. This was about 2 weeks into the job.
6) This one made me the most angry. I learned of the store closing during a conversation with a customer. This was 2 weeks until closing day. According to one employee mgr was going to tell us individually but mgr was there that day unofficially and walked by me saying nothing or even apologizing. I'm not backing down on this one. I believe this could of been handled differently. Employees can still know ahead of time and not tell the customers for a bit. It's pretty simple. It was embarassing because the customers were looking at me like OMG.
7) Told to do something one day and something else the next. Very confusing.
8) Told my blog was getting mgr into trouble but she was never in trouble. I guess making the schedule then not showing up to open the store for three hours is not cause for getting in trouble.
9) There were other things going on that I suspected but not quite sure on.
I need to say that since blogging for two years straight which is pretty much working for Hello Kitty and doing it for free for that matter I certainly would not go into working for Sanrio as a lazy employee. I worked hard as I've done with all my jobs and wanted to be their but when there's nonsense going on and even with only 5-6 employees working their which is unbelievably ridiculous it's not very motivating. I wanted to quit so many times but I needed to work which it had been a long time since I did.
I understand that this is how they do things but that doesn't make it right. In my opinion I think Sanrio needs to understand that most of their employees are not just employees but are fans or superfans and very loyal to the brand and should be treated with respect and not just some piece of garbage retail worker. Working in retail has it's reputation but Sanrio should be above that because of their sweet image of Hello Kitty that they want to present. Practice what you preach.
"A happy worker works harder"-The Beautician and the Beast"
Disclaimer: These are my opinions based on my experience and may not be the same for others.